To take water from a standpipe connected to the Coliban Water network, you need a water carting permit. This includes all council-operated standpipes.
There are 3 types of water carter permits:
Drinking water carter
Private water carter
Recycled water carter
Only drinking water carters can sell water for human consumption. They must also register with their council. Visit the Government's Health.Vic website to find out more.
Find a standpipe
Our interactive map shows the location and operator of each standpipe. Be sure to familiarise yourself with the traffic management plans for each location.
Apply for a water carting permit
We process all applications for water carting permits, including the use of council-operated standpipes.
How to apply
Choose one of following:
- Water Carter Application (Coliban Water operated standpipes) online form
- Water Carter Application Permit Only (Council/ Shire operated standpipes) online form
If your application is approved, you will need an AvData key to use our standpipes. AvData keys are available to buy from our office for $35. At the end of each month, you will be mailed an account directly from AvData that shows the location, date, time and cost for each use.
For pricing, see our fees and charges page.
How to use a standpipe
- Hold your AvData key to the panel
- Press the 'On' button to start the water flow
- Press the 'Off' button to stop the water flow. This may take 10-20 seconds.
The hose may not always reach your tank. You may want to use a 90mm pipe to help direct water into your tank.
When using a standpipe, you must:
- use water according to current water restrictions.
- never use fire hydrants and plugs.
Last updated on 08 Aug 2019