Skip to main content Skip to home page

Supply by Agreement

Throughout the region that Coliban Water operates in, there are on occasions, properties and areas where a Supply by Agreement (SBA) is required as part of our water service delivery.

In areas where specific conditions are met and on properties located outside our supply district we provide service under a Supply by Agreement that protects your rights and responsibilities as a property owner as well as Coliban Water’s as a supplier. 

We currently have over 1,400 urban and 200 rural customers receiving water under these conditions. Supply by Agreements will be issued to customers as part of property settlement in most cases, however there are instances where Coliban Water issue Supply By Agreements to existing customers.

Types of Supply by Agreements

There are a number of reasons why a property or an area may be on a Supply by Agreement:

  • Private extension – Properties that are not directly fronted by a Coliban Water main. These can range from 20 metres to several kilometres long in some cases. Customers connected by private extension are responsible for maintenance from and including the tapping point at the main, all the way to the meter. This will include the stop tap. Coliban Water only maintains the meter for customers connected to a private extension. If your property is connected this way, we recommend inspecting your pipeline regularly for leaks.
  • Raw water – Raw water is non-treated water and is not suitable for human consumption. It should not be used for drinking, food preparation, ice making, cleaning teeth, bathing or showering. 
  • Trunk main – Properties connected via trunk mains may experience water quality and flow rate variations and no water events. Trunk mains are large diameter pipelines that transfer water between major network components, such as reservoirs, treatment plants and towns.
  • Low pressure – Some parts of our region are supplied through networks that do not meet our minimum specifications for provision of service as outlined in the customer charter.  
  • Rural (recycled water) – Rural customers on the Cockatoo Hill and Ascot channels are supplied a combination of raw and recycled water. Unlike Urban connections, agreements must be signed and registered before we will deliver water to these properties.
  • Declared supply district – Properties that are located outside the declared supply district for a town or locality and the provision of a water service. The declared supply districted being the area identified by the Victorian Government as approved for Coliban Water to supply water, subject to the availability of suitable network infrastructure. 


For further information on Supply by Agreements please contact our Customer Support Team on 1300 363 200 or email 

Last updated on 28 Jul 2023
Back to top